Sunday, November 16, 2014

Easy-Peasy Pickles!

6 ingredient pickles! So easy!
I really haven't blogged in forever and for that I apologize. Summer came and went and we are amidst the ever-decreasing temperatures of fall in NJ. I bought a few organic cucumbers the other day and after visiting my parent's house yesterday found myself with a bunch of dill. Of course I could always dry it out and add it to salmon dishes or make some dill butter, but instead, I'd rather take a stab at some fresh pickles. I've also been pinning myself to death on Pinterest, and looking at all of the cute holiday DIY projects out there has me a bit inspired. So many are fat and sugar laden and while these contain both sugar and salt, they're not as horrible for you as the 500 cookies and gallon of eggnogg (cocktails?) that will be staring you in the face this holiday season. You could very easily dress these up with some raffia or ribbon with a tag that says "Happy Holi-dills".

With that being said, I present you with my pickles. I won't be able to eat these for a few days because they need to "marinate" but this is how I made them. I will update this post in a few days and let you know how they came out!

You will need:
1 qt mason jar
1/3 C white vinegar
2 C total of water - 6 oz of which came from the Keurig
a handful of fresh dill
1 garlic clove, quartered
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 C sugar

In a bowl, combine sugar, salt and garlic.Slice a large cucumber into 1/2" slices. I use organic cucumbers, so I don't peel them, however, if they were not, I would peel the outer skin off. Add 6 oz of hot water (small Keurig setting) and stir to melt the sugar and salt. Add vinegar. After it is mixed well (about a minute in) add 10 oz COLD water. You want the sugar/salt water to be cool enough as to not "cook" the pickles.

In a 1 quart mason jar, place fresh dill at the bottom and then placed the sliced cucumbers on top. Pour liquid mixture over the cucumbers, seal the lid tightly and shake a bit to incorporate the cucumbers, dill and liquid. Let sit, refrigerated for a few days (I would say 3 minimum) to absorb the flavors. Each day, turn the jar upside down and right side back up again to mix up the flavors.

Have you ever made your own pickles? Do you add different flavors such as lemon or Old Bay seasoning? Post in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment