Saturday, January 10, 2015

Adapted Berry Pudding Cake

My mother has been a diabetic since she was about 45 years old. Recently, she subscribed to "Diabetic Living" magazine. I really like the recipes that they have because they seem to use real, whole ingredients. I think in reality, we can eat anything that we want, in moderation. I also think eating foods that our bodies were made to process as opposed to synthetic dyes, flavors and ingredients is a much better choice when faced with a plethora of cooking options. The original recipe can be found here. I love this because the end result is less than an inch of cake amidst a bunch of colorful berries. It's just sweet enough and doesn't leave you feeling like you missed out on dessert.
My version is as follows (which isn't that much different, but a few tweaks were done):

1/4C sugar
1/2C coconut flour
2 large eggs
1C almond milk
dash salt
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
Mixed berries - I only used about 2C as opposed to the 3C in the original
-4 large strawberries, sliced
-1/2 pt blueberries
-about 15 raspberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Beat  sugar, salt, eggs, milk, flour, baking powder and vanilla in a medium bowl. Set aside. Grease (non-stick spray, coconut oil, etc) a baking dish (I used my 8 inch round corning ware dish), and sprinkle a pinch of brown sugar on the bottom. Layer raspberries and blueberries on the bottom of the dish. Pour 1/2 mixture on top and spread evenly. Layer sliced strawberries on top of batter. Pour and spread remaining batter on top of the strawberries and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 6 servings.

Each serving contains approximately:
Calories: 120
Fat: 3g
Carbs: 17g
Protein: 4g
Sugar: 12g
Fiber: 4g

No comments:

Post a Comment