Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Caprese-Inspired Black Bean Spaghetti with Chicken

I have made no secret how much I love caprese salads. I think the flavors mesh together so well and since many sauces and dressings are loaded with sugar and fat, I like to add these flavors to pasta, rices and vegetables. Today, In Costco, while out shopping with my husband, I came across this gluten-free substitute for traditional pasta spaghetti. It is called gluten-free organic black bean spaghetti and is made by a company called "Explore Asian". Each 2 ounce serving packs in 25g protein and 180 calories. Add to that, 12 of the 17g of carbohydrates are dietary fiber and you have yourself here a nice little substitution that packs a nutritional punch. It's currently (as of April 2014) $8.99 per 2 pound box. Now, 2 ounces of traditional pasta is where this differs greatly. It's much thinner & lighter than it's heavy counterparts.

Today, I boiled some of this up and decided to give it a whirl. I am pleasantly surprised at the flavor and texture and find this to be the best substitute for pasta to date. Just to add a tiny bit more flavor, I drizzled a balsamic honey glaze over the top. I make this ahead and keep it in the fridge and if I end up using 1 teaspoon, it's all I use. I simply bring to a boil a mixture of balsamic vinegar and honey at a ratio of 2 parts honey to 1 part balsamic. I let it cool and once cooled, I transfer to a tiny squeeze container, like you would use for melted chocolate. You can find these in the cake decorating or candy making aisle in any craft store and when cooled, this reduction takes on a syrup-like consistency.

For 1 serving, you will need:
2 oz black bean spaghetti
1 small tomato, chopped
1.5 oz fresh mozzarella, cubed
10 fresh basil leaves
1/2 Tbsp olive oil (to toss cooked "spaghetti" with)
garlic powder, pepper to taste
1 Tbsp parmesan to garnish

Cook spaghetti for 7-8 minutes and drain. Toss spaghetti with olive oil, black pepper and garlic powder. While spaghetti is cooking, cook 4 oz. boneless chicken to doneness, lay to rest on a plate for 5 minutes before slicing. Dice 1.5 oz fresh mozzarella and 1 small tomato. Chop about 10 fresh basil leaves. Assemble spaghetti, tomatoes, mozzarella and basil on a plat and if desired, drizzle honey balsamic glaze over the top. Garnish with 1 Tbsp grated parmesan.

In each serving:
Calories: 471
Carbs: 21.32g
Protein: 54.3g
Fat: 17.43g
Dietary Fiber: 13.1g

No comments:

Post a Comment