Thursday, April 17, 2014

Skinny Coconut Macaroons

The other day, a friend of mine had posted a recipe for
coconut macaroons from SkinnyTaste.Com. I love all of her recipes that I have tried, especially the butternut squash and spinach lasagne rolls. I was inspired by her recipe so with a few changes, I came up with my own.

You will need:
2 C unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 C sugar
1 Tbsp honey
3/4 C egg whites (about 5 large eggs)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract (I love vanilla)
1/2 tsp almond extract

*Optional: dark chocolate chips for melting & drizzling over the top.

In a saucepan, whisk egg whites & sugar until thoroughly incorporated on low heat for 10-15 minutes. You want the mixture to be moist and sticky with a nice shine to it. Empty into a large glass bowl and incorporate coconut. After the coconut is mixed thoroughly, add honey, vanilla and almond. Mixture shouldn't be dry, but crumbly, yet packable (like brown sugar). To shape the balls, I used a 1 Tbsp coffee scoop. I scooped some of the mixture in and packed well, then tapped out the ball. The bottom is flat which makes it great for baking. bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until golden brown. You can drizzle chocolate on some of them if you wish. The numbers below are for coconut macaroons without chocolate. Makes 24.

In each macaroon:
Calories: 48
Fat: 3.35g
Protein: 1.16g
Carbs: 4.19g
Sugar: 3.15g



No comments:

Post a Comment