Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sinfully Sweet Peanut Butter Coconut Cups

So tasty, minimal ingredients!
A few days ago, in my weight-loss challenge group, a member had posted this recipe for "Easy Chocolate Almond Butter Cups" from paleOMG. I love how she used minimal ingredients and they looked like they took a short amount of time to make. As a mother of 3, I'm always looking for desserts I can make my children that don't have a scary list of ingredients while not making my kitchen a disaster in the process. Let's face it, nobody feels like cleaning up after a day of baking fun. This uses about 3 bowls, a knife and a few spoons. I set out on Holy Thursday to make those almond butter cups for the upcoming Easter holiday, but ended up stumbling across a little gem in the food store. Apparently, I have been living under a rock because Earth Balance makes these all-natural nut butter spreads. This one, in particular was creamy coconut & peanut spread and is one of the most delicious concoctions I have ever tasted. Since cutting back my sugar drastically, I find sweetness in the most natural food items. Earth Balance's creamy coconut & peanut spread contains only 2g of sugar. I can't wait to discover what else I can make with it. Next up will definitely be some of my no-bake homemade energy oat bars. But for now, we're on to these little cups of heaven.

You will need:
12 Tbsp Earth Balance creamy coconut & peanut spread (about 3/4C)
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
6 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes (I use "Let's Do Organic" brand)
10 Tbsp 85% dark chocolate chips

In a bowl, combine melted coconut oil, honey and creamy coconut & peanut spread until mixed thoroughly. Gradually add in coconut flakes, reserving about 1 Tbsp to garnish cups. Spoon (and I use a baby spoon - approx 1tsp) 1 spoonful into a mini muffin pan. To make even, start in the middle and "swirl" the mixture evenly throughout the pan. If you are using a non-stick pan, greasing is unnecessary. Melt chocolate chips (I have a 600W tiny microwave and melt for about 3 minutes at 30-40%) and pour about 1/2-1 tsp over each cup. Sprinkle with reserved coconut and set in the freezer for about 20 minutes. To store, refrigerate and keep in an airtight container. Makes 24 cups, which contain good fats and minimally processed ingredients

In each "cup":
Calories: 93
Fat: 8.5g
Carbs: 4.79g
Protein: 0.29g
Sugar: 4.08g

No comments:

Post a Comment