Thursday, April 3, 2014

Easy Breakfast Pizza

I love pizza. I live in New Jersey and we have some of the best pizza on the planet. The problem is, is that beyond college years or hangovers, pizza isn't a fitting breakfast. Also, pizza, isn't so forgiving on the waistline. Nothing says bust your "budget" by having to buy new pants. In my opinion, traditional pizza just isn't worth the nutritional "price".

That is, unless you change the ingredients!

I was all set to eat my same ole' breakfast that I eat every morning, when I realized I had a bunch of red onions leftover from last night's caprese-inspired portobello caps. I decided to make a little breakfast pizza with those and some fresh broccoli I had in the fridge. With the way I've become accustomed to eating, I try and eat the majority of my calories before noon, then gradually taper off throughout the day. This way, my food is working for me by giving me the energy to complete my daily tasks, instead of laying in bed at night with belly bulge because there was just too much on my dinner plate. The crust is made from one of my favorite items that ALDI carries: a flatbread wrap that contains 9g dietary fiber and only 90 calories. Now, on to the recipe!

Easy Breakfast Flatbread Pizza:
1 high fiber wrap (I use ALDI's "Fit & Active" brand
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp whipped cream cheese (for the "sauce")
1 C chopped broccoli
1/2 small red onion
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or minced
spices to garnish (I use garlic powder, pepper, and paprika)
1 tsp coconut oil

Heat oil in a skillet. I use 1 tsp, just enough to coat the pan and I keep the heat on medium/low. Add broccoli and onions and sautee for about 5 minutes. The idea is to have the vegetables hot, but raw. Toast your flatbread either for a few minutes in the conventional oven or by using a toaster oven. Add garlic. Sautee for another minute or so. Add eggs and cook thoroughly. While the eggs are cooking, spread 2 Tbsp whipped cream cheese over the flatbread and then lay the cooked egg and vegetable mixture on top. The heat from the eggs will make the cream cheese creamy and since you toasted your flatbread prior, it will remain crunchy. Garnish with your own preferred spices. I used a pepper grinder, garlic powder (I adore garlic) and paprika.

Each breakfast pizza contains:
Calories: 414
Fat: 24.39g
Carbs: 30.56
Dietary Fiber: 12g
Protein: 27.27g

No comments:

Post a Comment